That was Wednesday I think? We had most Wednesday off. Thursday we were stuck in boring talks aimed at freshers/first year uni students. I'm loving the free sports centre, both using the pool for cardio workouts, and we all go down there some evenings to just mess about and put some music on. Friday, we had talks in the morning about studying science - it wasn't anything too interesting either... Managed to get the afternoon off, as we talked to the lecturer giving the Pharmacy talk, and he told us we were fine to skip it.
Oh, did I mention we had the inaugural meeting of both The Puzzle Club and The Breakfast Club? No? Well, us international students from the UK are a pretty cool bunch of people... Someone picked up a thousand piece puzzle in Kajang, that's mainly just various shades of brown, which prompted the creation of the Puzzle Club. We just sat around in the kitchen on the girls' kitchen, playing music and doing some serious puzzling...
Once again, Reema and Amy make an appearance somehow, this time concentrating on the fiendishly difficult puzzle.
The Puzzle Box, with all the "middle," pieces laid out. We've started doing the edges on the main kitchen table, with a note (in Malay!) telling the cleaners to please leave it.
The Breakfast Club, is the same group of us, but, as the name suggests, we all meet in the (same) kitchen, and eat breakfast together... I don't know what events lead to us all "creating," these clubs, but somehow we did. And we're all the much cooler for it. I think. Right?!
Vicky, Anna, Hector and I took a trip to Seminyeh to try do a few things - like Tesco, the bank and the clinic for a few odd things. Didn't get it all done, but oh well. Friday night was the first visit to the "local," JJs. JJs is basically a few tables laid out on a street corner near the off campus student accommodation. Us students make up 90% of his trade I'd imagine, and there's not much choice beyond a few beers/the odd spirit. That said, it's only a 15 minute walk, and he lets us put on our music.
The Tiger Beer we had at JJs. Not sure how he gets this....
Saturday! The KL trip! The international office organised a trip to KL for us, at RM 50. Includes transport there, lunch, a few stops on the coach trip, advertised as 9-6. We (pharmacy crew+some others,) decided to stay in KL, and try go out to some bars in the evening, and perhaps crash at some hostel. As the day went on, we kinda went off that plan, as I'll detail later.
The trip firstly went through the local village (Seminyeh,) with a bit of a talk about it's history, some Malaysian facts. If I'm honest, most of us were shattered, so used this time to catch up on some winks. I'm sorry to the tour guide for this <3 The highlight of the organised tour was next up.
In KL is a really really tall tower, called something starting with M. It's the fourth tallest in the word, at 431 m. We were to be having a buffet lunch at the revolving deck. It was great, good food, loads of it, and awesome views. As I said, it was revolving, so your view was constantly changing. Pretty disorientating. Tried the durian porridge for dessert, not a fan... There's plenty of pictures of the views going up on facebook, so I'm not going to post them here.
Next stop was the "mega-mall," of Mid Valley, a huuuuuuuuuge shopping centre on the outskirts of KL. Upon arrival, the plan was stated that we would stay till 9pm, until at which point we'd head over to the strip for bars/clubs whatever. Now, I'm not a sexist, nor would I like to negatively stereotype anyone... But us guys really really are not good at shopping. Even more so over a period of five hours. And most of the girls seemed to love the prospect. We tried to shop until about 6.30pm~ until at which point we(Anna, Vicky, Hector, Joe, Imran and Inul(I think that's right,)) decided we were going to ditch the bar idea, as there was no chance we were staying in the "megamall," and retaining sanity until 9pm. Instead, Inul who seems rather knowledgeable suggested we go to Masjid Jamek (spelling is tough,) which was about two train trips away, costing something like RM 2 per person in total. Once we crossed a few roads (which is the most dangerous thing I've done in a long time, the locals seem unperturbed by weaving through traffic moving at high speeds and just walking casually over. We resorted to running like maniacs to get to safety asap,) we serendipitously discovered this military fair/show thing.
By now, it was about 7pm, so getting dark. All around a grassy square area where different tents with different Military equipment on display/for messing about with, and tanks lining it. I'm not sure what the occasion was, but it sounded like something we wanted to have a look at. All thoughts of hunger were immediately gone when we found the guns and started re-living our boyhood fantasies of running around shooting people (no, we don't need mental help, it's ok!) Anna and Vicky seemed rather bemused by the large grins on our faces everytime we picked another one up and pretended to aim towards the facing cameras we all pulled out. Many many photos later, we moved on, the euphoria of pretending to be soldiers worn off, hunger came back. I'm embarrassed to say we resorted to burger king as it was the first thing we found, and near our train station that we needed to get on.
The decision to not go out clubbing turned out to be a great one, and I had a brilliant evening exploring something I would not have seen otherwise. Only one downside...
Where were we meant to enlist?!
Looking forward to a day of finally doing nothing tomorrow, before lectures start on Monday.
Hope everyone is good and well,
Much Love,
Jacob.

No comments:
Post a Comment